Rainy afternoon on the South Platte

Mark and I decide to hit the South Platte River for the afternoon hoping the rains would push most of the people off the river.  Unfortunately that was not the case and the river was packed full of other anglers and the rafters were in full swing.  We drive around trying to find an open spot after our first couple of choices were already being fished.
We find a open spot and I tie on a Amy's Ant to a PMD before I start working the edges.  After an hour or so with no luck, our tough day gets a little tougher as a hail storm passes over.  We wait out the hail and get back on the water after it passes.  With the water a little high I manage to work out into the middle to fish the far edge.  After a few casts I see a fish feed on the surface under a little bush.  First cast to it and a nice brown sips in the PMD and the battle is on.  After a good fight and a little help from Mark netting it, I have the first fish of the day.  Using my bigger rod was probably the best decision of the day being that this brown was a 16" pig.  I keep fishing from the middle and get a giant of  a fish to take the PMD.  I pull back and hook it, but almost immediately the fish runs and snaps off the 6x tippet I was using.  Almost in tears over that dumb mistake because that would have been the biggest fish I had caught ever.
I take a little break and watch Mark fish the far bank for a while.  We try a couple more spots with no luck before calling it a day with just the one fish caught.  That being said, it was a great fish for a one fish day.  Not my best day of fishing but still had a great time on the water with a buddy.
Rod:  Unagi 12' 7/3
Line:  Furled 12'
Flies that Worked:  PMD

Comments

Popular Posts