Hermosa Creek day 1

Headed down to Durango to meet my buddy Dax and do some fishing and camping on Hermosa Creek.  The plan is to hike the 19 miles down the creek and fish along the way.  We start off in a high meadow area and talk to a guy who said the fishing was good up high where he was.  We however decide to walk a ways before we start fishing.  After an hour or so we stop for a break and I break out the rod.  First cast in and I land a nice 12" Brookie on a red and green stimi.  Dax casts into a few pools and hooks a nice rainbow but it gets off.  We walk down about 5 miles into the burn area where the fire accurred last year to the campsite and try a little fishing there.  I cast into a number of spots but get zero action until finally I hook a nice rainbow but it also gets off.  I end up working a 200 yard stretch with just that one bite, so I call it a day.  Dax tries a little fishing in the morning and gets a nice 12"rainbow to hand.  I think the fire killed off a lot of the fish.  Still a pretty good first day!





Rod:  Tenkara USA Iwana 12'
Line:  Streamside Leaders Nano Dragon 11'
Fly that Worked:  Red and Green Stimulator

Comments

Popular Posts