Day 76

Spent the day with Derron and Mark on the Arkansas River by Texas Creek after we heard the conditions were good.  We stopped off at the local fly shop(Royal Gorge Anglers) to pick up some flies and advice.  After we leave the fly shop we find a nice section of water and start fishing.

I start the day nymphing with a fly a bought at the shop and not three casts into it I have a fish hooked.  Five seconds later the fish is off.  We all find a spot and start catching fish on a pretty regular basis.  Derron having great luck decides to move downstream a little and Mark and I follow slowly as we fish are way down.  I am having great luck with hooking fish, but three of four fish were getting off before I could land them.  On the bright side I still caught five or six fish at this spot.  By 3:00pm the bwo hatches are going off and we have switched to dry flies.  Derron and Mark find a great run and pull out at least a dozen fish apiece on dries while I find a nice little run where I can see top water hits and land a couple more while hooking at least ten.


We decide to try our luck at a different spot after about four hours of fishing and drive downstream to a new area.  We start fishing still using dry flies and I find a great little section where I can see multiple top water hits.  Just as before I am having great luck hooking fish but only modest to poor luck at landing them.  We fish at this spot for a hour and half before we decide to move again.

The last spot of the day was a little further downstream with a nice set of big boulders creating a few pools perfect for me.  I start casting to a pool and a few casts in I have my last fish of the day, a nice twelve inch brown.  We continue to fish until sunset before we call it a day.



 Derron and Mark must have caught well over twenty fish each while I pulled in eight or nine and hooked at least twice as many to make a great day of fishing on the Arkansas River!

Rod:  Iwana 12'
Line:  3rd Generation Traditional Tenkara 10 1/2'
Flies that worked:  BWO, BWO Nymph, Parachute Adams, Elk Hair Caddis

Comments

Popular Posts