Eleven Mile Canyon in the rain

Headed down to Eleven Mile Canyon for the day hoping the rains would stay away.  I get to the river around 10:30am and start at a new spot before finishing the day at an old favorite.  I only get about a half hour of dry skies at the beginning of the day before the rains come and stay for the rest of the day.  That being said, I fished for about eight hours, all on two dries, a amy's ant and a pale morning dun. 
I find a new spot to fish and as I come upon the stream I notice a nice little pool behind a rock.  I have a Amy's Ant on to start and third cast in and I have landed a nice little rainbow.  I work upstream a little and catch one more rainbow on the Amy's Ant before switching up to a PMD.  I work a number of holes and pull out three more fish before taking a little break and driving upstream.

I end up driving to an old favorite and working upstream to start off.  Same as before I catch a fish on my third cast in and have a nice size brown in the net.  Over the next couple hours I manage to land a half dozen or so fish on a PMD before taking another little break before I start working downstream from the car.
I keep working the edges and am getting some action but the fish keep coming off or just sniffing the fly.  I work myself to the bottom of the area and start working my way back up over the next hour or so.  With the rain still going strong and bugs still hatching I keep at it with the PMD and start landing some fish.  By the time I make it back to the car I have landed another five or so and had a couple more hooked.
I end the day around 7pm with a pretty good day of dry fly fishing in the books.  Still can't believe it rained from 11am to 7pm!

Rod:  Iwana 12' 6/4
Line: Furled 10'
Flies that Worked:  Amy's Ant, PMD

Comments

Popular Posts