Late afternoon on Clear Creek

Finally got a nice sunny day to fish and I decide to head up to Clear Creek.  The only problem was that I didn't get to the creek until 4pm and it's the weekend so the creek is extremely busy.  Despite this I manage to find a few spots to myself and do a little fishing until dark.
I start low in the canyon and find a spot where the water is moving a little faster than I would have preferred.  No matter, as I am fishing the edges with a Amy's Ant.  Every slack water pool on the side I try getting a sniff here and a bite there but can't seem to get a fish in. 

I move upstream to another spot and keep my efforts on the edges.  Finally I start getting some fish to take the fly and land five over the next hour or so. None of the fish were very big but it was still nice to get the little ones to take the Amy's Ant.  I take a little break and decide to drive upstream to tunnel six and finish the day off.

I start casting to the first area I come across and hook a fish but it shakes loose seconds later.  I keep casting through this area and get a couple more sniffs but no takers.  I change up flies a few times but still can't get the fish to do anything but sniff it before changing back to the Amy's Ant.  I work upstream and get a few bites but can't land a fish.  Finally I wade out to the middle and hit a far side pool and get a fish to take the fly.  Sixth and last fish of the day ended up being a nice 10" brown that sipped the Amy's Ant in on a dead drift.

I keep fishing until dark but no more fish were to be had.  Best weather I have fished in probably a month.  Love when it's sunny and not windy!

Rod:  Iwana 12' 6/4
Line:  Furled 10'
Fly That Worked:  Amy's Ant

Comments

Popular Posts