Afternoon on Clear Creek

Headed up to Clear Creek to do a little afternoon fishing.  I get up by Empire around 1:30pm to a beautiful day with just a tiny breeze.  The water is a little high for this time of year but not to bad and only had a hint of stain to it.  I decide to try some new PMX patterns I just got for most of the day, only switching up at the very end.

I tie on a red PMX and head downstream to my starting point.  The first hole is a slice of slack water that you need to fish from above before you walk down to the creek.  So I cast into it but don't get a reaction, so I cast into it again and give it a little twitch.  Bam!  The twitch got a little brown to react and come up and kill it for the first fish of the day.

In typical fashion the fast start led to a slow day.  I work my way up, casting through a number of holes with no luck for the next couple hours.  I finally get another little Brown to take the fly on the edge at the top of the area before calling it for this area and moving downstream.

I find a spot above Idaho Springs and have a nice far side slack water area to fish right where I entered the creek.  I cast out a few times but don't get any reaction, when I see a fish feed on the surface right where I had just cast.  I decide to change up to a parachute adams that was quite a bit smaller than the PMX and two casts in I have landed my third fish of the day.  I try a couple more holes before calling it a day and heading home.

Good but slow day on the water!

Rod:  Iwana 12' 6/4
Line:  Riggs Floating Line 12'
Flies that Worked:  PMX, Parachute Adams

Comments

Popular Posts