Good day on the Blue

Had another gorgeous Colorado day and decided to head up to the Blue River hoping it would not be crowded on a weekday.  Sadly the first spot was super crowded so I headed downstream to another section.  This section was a little better but still had three or four others in the area fishing.  I tie on a mysis to a red midge and start fishing my way upstream.
The first part of the day sees no action.  Even though I can see fish, I cannot find a pattern they will take.  I even try a few dries over the coarse of the day after seeing a couple surface takes but can't get those to work either.  I finally get a bite below one of the bridges but it shakes loose after about ten seconds of fighting.  I decide to take a break and drive up to the first section to see if it has cleared out a little.
Much to my surprise the river had cleared out so I picked a section and started working myself upstream.  I have tied back on the mysis and red midge and almost immediately get a bite.  I hook into a 12" rainbow for my first fish of the day.  I continue upstream but don't get any action the rest of the day and decide to call it day after about 6 hours of fishing.

Rod:  Unagi 12' 7/3
Line:  Riggs Nymphing Line 12'
Fly that worked:  Red Midge

Comments

Popular Posts