Great day with a couple of buddies

Decided to head up the Poudre Canyon with my buddies Daniel and Mark.  After hearing about some other people catching some Grayling's at Joe Wright Reservoir we make that our first destination.  None of us had ever caught Grayling, so we were all pretty excited.  My buddy Mark ties on a Amy's Ant to a Copper John and first cast out gets a double with Graylings.  He ends up catching six grayling while Dan and I have a tougher time of it.  I end up catching one Grayling and having half a dozen nose the fly but not take it.  Still great to catch my first Grayling!  Much to my surprise, the only other fish I caught at the lake was a Tiger Trout.  I did not even know the lake had them in it, so I was super stoked to catch my first one.  Dan gets a few strikes and has one snap him off but doesn't manage to get one to hand.
We decide to pick up and try the Poudre River after seeing the inlet to the lake have about seven people fishing it.  We fish up high in the wild trout waters just below the hatchery.  Once again Mark is into fish while Daniel and myself get skunked.  I had a couple flash at my f;y but no takers.  After an hour or so we decide to try a spot we know to get Daniel on a fish. 
We get to the last spot and Daniel has decided he is done for the day.  This was sad because we stopped at this spot because we know he would catch a fish here.  I catch a rainbow here before calling it and watching Mark finish off the day killing it at his favorite spot.  By the time it is all said and done Mark catches 16 fish while I get 3 and Dan none.
Great day of fishing with a couple of buddies and crossed two off the list!

Rod:  Iwana 12' 6/4
Line:  Furled 12'
Flies that Worked:  Amy's Ant

Comments

Popular Posts