Rocky Mountain N.P. day 1

Got an early start to the day for me, getting on the creek by about 9:30am.  I was hoping that Cub Creek would still be low and clear despite every other river jumping up 3 to 5 times the water flow over the past week.  Sadly this was not the case and Cub Creek was probably a foot and a half higher than last week.  My second hope was that getting out early I would miss the rain.  Sadly this did not happen either and it rained for about a half hour starting around 10:30am.
Even with the water levels higher and stained I still tried to dry fly for the most part.  After catching a little brookie on a beetle pattern I wasn't getting much in the way of action so I tied on hopper to a pink san juan worm.  First cast with the new rig and I get a little brownie.  I continue to fish until about noon catching five and hooking into another five before picking up and driving to the west side of the park to meet a friend.
After meeting up with Mark we decide to try the first meadow at East Inlet Creek.  We get to the creek and it is coming out of its banks but the water is still surprisingly clear.  We try a number of dries along with nymphing but don't get anything.  After an hour or so we call it a day and head back to our campsite.
Tough day of fishing but still great to be in Rocky Mountain N.P.!
Rod:  Iwana 12' 6/4
Line:  Furled 12'
Flies That Worked:  Beetle, Pink San Juan Worm

Comments

Popular Posts