Three Creek Day

Decided to head back up to Rocky Mountain National Park for the day, after stopping in at Kirk's Fly Shop and picking up some Winged Ant's.  I started the day at Cub Creek and worked my way upstream for a few hours.  After tying on one of the new flies I end up catching fifteen fish on Cub Creek before heading back to the car to try another creek.






Second on the list was Glacier Creek below Sprague Lake.  I drive to the top parking lot and walk down to the bottom parking lot and fish my way back up.  Sadly I get to this area just after a group of three fished it.  I try to take my time to let the water rest but end up only spending a little over an hour here and catching five fish.  I decide to take a dinner break and then finish the day on the Big Thompson River.

I stop at one of the spots I know and thankfully no one is there.  It's about 7:15pm by this time and I can see fish feeding on the surface all along the far bank.  My first cast is behind a small boulder on the near side, which gets a trout to come up, but sadly turn away at the last second.  I start casting to the far side where I have seen fish feeding.  Shortly after I am into fish.  I end up catching seven but have at least that many strikes that don't land a fish.  I work a twenty yard section twice and call it a day around 8pm.

Great day of fishing three different creeks and catching fish on all of them with a single Winged Ant.

Rod:  Iwana 12' 6/4
Line:  Furled 12'
Fly That Worked:  Winged Ant

Comments

  1. Great report and photographs! I'm taking the family to Estes Park in early August and hope to get away for a few hours of tenkara fishing (possibly a three creek day of my own if I'm lucky!). You mentioned parking at the upper lot of Sprague Lake - is that the lot for the horse stable? Since I won't have a lot of time to hike and fish, I'm looking at stretches of water that are easily accessible. Your RMNP posts have been very helpful in determining what areas to fish, and your photographs are some of the best I've seen. Thanks.

    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeremy! I am not sure if it's the lot for horse stables or not, but I fished from the first parking lot for Glacier creek up to the next parking lot. hope that helps.

      Delete
  2. Thanks, Kevin. I think I found the two parking lots down from Sprague Lake (along Bear Lake Rd) on Google Maps. I also hope to spend a half day fishing the Moraine Park area.

    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may also want to check out Cub Creek. It is in the Moraine Park section but is a smaller side creek on the south side of the meadow.(drive over the bridge at moraine park then take a right so your heading west to the end of the road where there is parking)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts