Another beautiful day on Clear Creek

Got to the creek around 11am with just a breeze and a partly cloudy day.  I ended up fishing at the first tunnel all day, and to my surprise not one other fisherman.  I tie on a purple stimi to a pheasant tail and walk down to the creek to start fishing.  Same as the last couple days I fish the skinny water on the sides and behind boulders.  I doesn't take long before I am into my first fish, a nice 11" brown on the stimi.  I continue working upstream and hook a couple more but they shake loose while bringing them in.  Then I see a fish take the stimi, or so I thought, and set the hook. Only to realize no fish on the line and my flies now high in a tree.  Of coarse this is my last purple stimi and now must try to find a new pattern the fish will take.

The rest of the day I struggle to find a pattern that produces consistent action but settle on a couple of different pmx patterns.  Throughout the day I seemed to get twice as many hooks as I did fish to hand but still managed to land over a half dozen fish with a couple around the 12" mark.  Towards the end of the day I had settled on a red pmx that managed to hook three more before I left with another smile on my face.

Good day of fishing and on a side note gave a passerby some info on tenkara and showed him how easy it was to fish.  I am pretty sure he's going to give it a try( we talked for an hour or so and then he watched me fish for at least another hour).

Rod:  Iwana 12' 6/4
Line:  Riggs Floating Line 12'
Flies that Worked:  Purple Stimi, Red PMX

Comments

Popular Posts