Slow start to a good finish

Got to the creek around noon today and found a nice sunny spot to fish, upstream from tunnel 1.  Had a picture perfect day to fish with the temps in the low 60's and just a breeze.  I start the day with a purple stimulator down to a pheasant tail nymph and work the edges and slack water behind boulders.

I start out casting to areas I am sure hold fish but am getting no action at all.  After a number of holes with no fish I decide to change up and try nymphing with eggs and worms.  This turned out to be a bad decision as I continued to have no luck and no action.  I continue upstream and change back to the original setup.  Then suddenly I get a bite on the pheasant tail but it shakes loose before I can get it in.  I continue fishing the edges and start picking up fish at almost every hole over the next hour or so.  After a half dozen fish, with one nice 13" rainbow among them, I decide to head to the car and drive upstream a little ways.

This time I pick a shady area with plunge pools to fish.  Almost immediately I am into fish with all of them hooked on the stimi.  I fish for about another hour or so picking up a number of fish and hooking quite a few that never saw my hand.  I decide to try a new area to finish the day and drive a little further upstream.

Spot number three was in the shade and consisted of a succession of plunge pools.  For whatever reason, I again am getting no action or fish.  I work my upstream and hit a number of holes over the next half hour with no luck, before calling it a day and heading home.

Rod:  Iwana 12'
Line:  Riggs Floating Line
Flies that Worked:  Stimulator(purple), Pheasant Tail Nymph


Comments

Popular Posts