Mid April on Bear Creek

Had  the afternoon off and headed up to Bear Creek around 1pm. It had snowed a couple days ago and finally started warming up.  Had an overcast and windy day, which worked out because I wanted to try out the new line I got from Riggs, the floating line made for the windy days.

I start at the normal spot and can't see any fish rising but try a olive midge pattern in the hopes a making one rise.  With no action on this pattern I try a few others with the same luck before I tie on a black beauty nymph below the Parachute Adams and second cast through I have a nice brown landed to start the day off right.  I move to the next hole up but see I spooked the fish and decide to move on.

Two more spots with no luck before number three proves to be the charm and I land another good size brown.  I keep moving upstream trying a couple more spots with no luck before moving back down below the bridge.

There always seems to be at least half a dozen fish are feeding below the bridge at any given time and this time was no exception.  I see a couple fish rising to the surface to feed and cast over them with hits on the nymph surprisingly. I manage to catch a tiny brown and a decent size brown before I decide to move downstream again.

I finish where I started but unfortunately with no fish to be had the second time around.  I call it a day after about 3 1/2 hours of fishing and a herd of deer siting.

Rod:  Iwana 12'
Line:  Riggs floating line 12'
Fly that worked:  Black Beauty Nymph

Comments

Popular Posts