Cache La Poudre River on Dries

With the flows around 480cfs Mark and I decided to head up to the Poudre to try our luck on some new water.  We headed up to the upper part of the wild trout waters to start and would work our way down the canyon throughout the day.

We try one of the pullouts and start fishing.  We don't see any bug action at all or fish feeding on the surface so mark starts with a nymph rig while I try dries.  I start with a caddis but am getting zero action so I decide to try one of the green body amy's ant I picked up at the fly shop.  First cast out to some pocket water on the edge and I have landed my first fish.  I keep working upstream and pickup a couple more before I stop and work my way down to Mark.  Having no luck nymphing I tell Mark what they are hitting and he switches up to a red body amy's ant and starts to slay it.  By the time we finish at this spot Mark has landed seven and I have five, all on amy's ants.

We drive to another pullout and continue to catch fish and have the river to ourselves.  Neither of us can believe that the smaller patterns don't work while we are catching fish on two colors of size 10 amy's ants.  Working our way downstream we try a couple more pullouts and finish the day at Marks favorite spot.  We each catch a few more fish before calling it a day.

Rod:  Unagi 12' 7/3
Line:  14' Hi-Vis Level Line #3
Fly that Worked:  Amy's Ant(Green and Red)



Comments

Popular Posts