Late Fall on Boulder Creek

Headed up to Boulder Creek to do a little late fall fishing for the day.  I got to the creek around 11:30am and tried a spot above four mile but below the falls.  I start the day fishing dries but quickly switch up after getting no action or seeing any bug life on the surface.  I end up tying on a hopper followed up by a bead head zug bug to get down to the fish.  Not two casts in with the new setup and I have landed my first little brown of the day.  I work my way upstream a ways catching a number of browns and one little brookie, all on the zug bug, before driving upstream to a new spot.

I drive upstream of the falls looking for a sunny patch of the canyon to fish for the rest of the day.  I end up picking a spot just above the falls with really skinny but gin clear water.  I decide to finish the day off trying to catch the fish on a crippled adams considering the conditions.  I start casting over a little section that really isn't anything more than a slight depression on the riverbed and not more than a few inches deep.  Couple casts in I get a good size brown to take the fly.  When I get it in hand I can hardly believe this size fish would hang out in water barely deep enough to cover him.  I fish upstream catching a few more fish on the adams before the sun goes behind the canyon walls and I decide to call it a day.


The water was cold and I had to fish below the surface for most of the day, but still had a great time on a beautiful Colorado fall day.

Rod:  Iwana 12' 6/4
Line:  Riggs Floating Line 12'
Flies that worked:  Zug Bug, Crippled Adams

Comments

Popular Posts