Lower Calf Creek Falls

My oldest brother and I were on a photography trip through the southwest and ended up spending our last half day on Calf Creek.  I have been here a number of times but it was Scotts first time.  The hike to the falls is about three miles, so I let Scott walk ahead as I fish the section around the campground to start the day.



I cast to a little pool where I can see a number of fish swimming around.  Using a BWO to a red midge I get a couple of strikes but can't hook up so I move upstream a little.  I come to another little plunge pool and start casting near to far.  I start twitching the fly a little and get a fish to come after it.  The first fish misses it but I cast back out and do the same thing, when I finally have my first little brown trout hooked.

I decide to pack up and start the walk to the falls to meet Scott.  After getting some pictures I try my luck in the pool at the falls.  I walk up to the outlet and start casting into the pool.  Almost instantly I see three fish get spooked and swim away.  I keep casting and get a nibble but no hookups, so I decide to walk downstream a little and try a couple more spots.  Second spot I try Scott sees a fish on the back end of the pool for me to try and land.  I cast out a number of times and see the fish move for the fly at least twice without getting it.  I keep casting and as I'm twitching the fly I finally get him to eat it.  Much to my surprise I have landed a cutthroat trout.  After a few pictures and a quick release I pack up and we start the walk back to the car.

The absolute best finish to our trip I could have asked for and without a doubt one of the most beautiful places I have ever fished!

Rod:  Iwana 12' 6/4
Line:  Riggs Floating Line 12'
Fly that Worked:  BWO

Comments

Popular Posts