A Day In The Park

Had a beautiful day out and decided to head up to Rocky Mountain National Park for the day.  Started the day fishing the Big Thompson in Moraine Park but wasn't having any luck so I walked over to Cub Creek to see if my luck would change.  Tried a couple of different patterns with no luck when I met a guy who has been fishing this creek forever.  We started talking and he said I should try this black beetle pattern that he ties.  He ends up giving me a fly and leaves me to my fishing.




So the start of my fishing day begins as the first two spots I try with the new fly produces two little brook trout.  I spend the rest of the day walking upstream and catching close to twenty fish, all on some sort of beetle pattern.  I had to switch flies a few times as two got destroyed by the fish and another snapped me off.  By the end of the day I was fishing a green drake and managed to catch a few on it.
The day could not have been more scenic and relaxing as I did not see another fisherman all day after meeting the guy early and got to fish amongst a herd of elk all day.  Just another great day of fishing!

Rod:  Iwana 12' 6/4
Line: Furled 12'
Flies That Worked:  Black Beetle, Red Humpy, Orange/Black Beetle, Green Drake

Comments

Popular Posts