Good day on the Poudre River

Headed up to the Cache La Poudre River today with my buddy Mark to try our luck on some low flows.  With the river running around 137cfs and crystal clear I was hoping a good dry fly day was ahead.  The skies were overcast all day with an occasional sprinkle, but overall was very comfortable.  The plan for the start of the day was to try the South Fork and go from there.




We park at Century Park and fish our way upstream to the South fork.  Mark takes the near side while I head over to the far side.  As I am crossing I cast into a couple pools and the second pool gives up a little 9" brown on a rusty spinner to start the day.  I continue working my way up catching a half dozen or so fish split between rainbows and browns and the biggest being around 14 inches.  

We finally work our way to the South Fork and start fishing our way upstream.  I catch a little 6" brown in the first area I try and am feeling pretty good about the South Fork.  That feeling is diminished quickly as neither Mark or I can catch or even see a fish over the next 1/4 mile.  With no action to be had we call it quits on the south Fork and head back to the car.

We drive downstream a little and find a pullout to try.  Mark ties on a Amy's Ant and almost immediately is into a fish, and then another, and another.  All three fish out of the same hole and on the swing or some kind of movement.  I come borrow a Amy's Ant from Mark and start working my way upstream.  I work my around two islands catching five more fish before calling it a day and heading back downstream to meet Mark.

After about six hours of fishing and a dozen fish for each of us we call it a day and head home with another good day of fishing in the books.

Rod:  Iwana 12' 6/4
Line:  Riggs Floating Line 12'
Flies that worked:  Rusty Spinner, Amy's Ant(Red)

Comments

Popular Posts