A day on the Fremont River, Utah

I got out early to try UM Creek first before I fished the Fremont to see if I could catch a Tiger Trout.  I try just below Forsyth Res. on a really nice section of water which I am sure holds fish.  I tie on a nymph rig with a zug bug on the bottom and start casting.  I hit a few spots with no luck when I finally get a bite but it comes off as quick as it bit it.  I fish for another hour or so with no action before I decide to quit and drive to the Fremont River.

I try the Fremont above Mill Valley Res. in a fairly flat and open area.  Still nymphing I start casting and moving upstream.  Having no luck I continue to switch up what I'm throwing when I finally hit the winner with a Copper John.  First cast and I have a nice size brown landed.  A couple more casts and I have my second fish of the day.  This continues until I loose the fly in a tree and find out I don't have another one.  I try the zug bug again and manage to pull out a couple more fish.  With more than a dozen fish caught I decide to call it a day after loosing half a dozen flies to the trees.

No Tiger Trout to be had for the day but still great to fish the Fremont River and UM Creek which I had to myself.

Rod:  Iwana 12'
Line:  12' Hi-Vis  Level Line # 3
Flies that worked:  Copper John(worked great) and Zug Bug

Comments

  1. Hi
    As a Swedish flyfisher I saw a american serie on the swedish television about logging in the area of Cougar Ridge. The way the drivers of the machines treated the ground during the clear cut was terrible. And my first tought went to what happened to the nearby streams with that intense and brutal way of logging.

    I could not stop myself to react maybe it derives from my experience in stream restoration and fishing in rivers affected by forestry here in Sweden. It always ends up with an almost extinction of wild natural trout. Resulting in that the landowner stock the stream with hatchery fish.

    I googled a little and found your blogg about fishing trout in this area. The picture on the Trout from Freemont River looked like a trout from our swedish hatcheries with damaged fins.
    Am I on the right path and do you have the same problem over there with trout waters strongly affected by forestry.

    Tanks in advance with best regards
    My email maxjarno@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts