Another try at the caddis hatch on the Arkansas

Mark, Derron and I tried the Arkansas River again to see if we could catch the caddis hatch.  We decided to try a little further upstream than we usually go and found a nice section of river to start.  The weather was perfect and almost no wind for most of the day.

I start the day throwing a caddis and after hitting a few pools with no luck I finally get a little brown on the near side seam.  I continue upstream casting through the runs and pools but am getting no action.  Meanwhile Mark is fishing a deep nymph rig and killing it.  He was fishing probably 10 feet down and the fish were hitting a hares ear nymph.  I cross the river and start working my way up the far side.  I finally get to a set of shallow riffles and manage to catch two more on the caddis.  Derron also having a slow day catching two to this point is ready for a change of venue as am I.

We head downstream and find another good section of river to finish off the day.  We still have not seen any good hatches of caddis but I am still throwing dries.  By this point I have a bwo and a caddis tied on and am working my way upstream to a island and a couple far side pools.  Over the next hour or so I catch eight fish, half on bwo, half on caddis.  It was also a 50/50 split between side pools and just off the island.

With Mark and Derron not having much luck we call it day around 5pm and head back home.  Although I had a slow start, the day ended up being pretty good on a all dry fly day.

Rod: Unagi 12' 7/3
Line:  Riggs Floating Line 12'
Flies that worked:  Caddis, BWO

Comments

Popular Posts