Fighting the wind at Bear Creek

Had a windy day to fish, so we kept is close to home and went to Bear Creek again to try our luck.  For a change of pace we decided to head up to O'Fallon to start the day.  Mark and I have both fished up here a couple times before and wanted to try it again.


We head downstream from the parking lot and work our way through a number of holes.  Mark is first on the board and has caught a couple on a yellow humpy near the edge.  I make my way past mark and try the big yellow and black body caddis I have.  I throw to some slack water behind a rock a land a little 4" brown to start the day.  A couple minutes later I land another 4" brown on the near side edge.  We start working our way back upstream and just below a little waterfall I get a nice 9" rainbow to finish off at O'Fallon.

We head back down to Lair O' The Bear Park and start fishing upstream at our old favorite hole.  Mark starts in  the hole and lands a fish almost immediately.  I start upstream and fish the edges when after a few casts I land a nice 11" brown.  We work ourselves downstream trying to get good drifts with dry flies but the wind will just not let up.  With tough casting conditions we fish for a few more hours.  Mark changed up midway through the day to a san juan worm and caught a few more on that setup, while a tried a number of different dry flies to no avail.

We call it a day around 4pm and head back to the car.  I caught four which made for a pretty slow fishing day, but other than the wind, the weather was perfect and it was great to fishing with a buddy for the day.

Rod:  Wakata 9' 6/4
Line:  Hi-Vis Level Line 10' #3
Flies that worked:  Yellow Humpy, Red San Juan Worm

Comments

Popular Posts