A tough day on the South Platte

Mark and I headed down to Eleven Mile Canyon with the flows being low and clear but consistent.  We get to the river a little after 11am and start at the bridge Mark likes.  I try dry flies to start and Mark ties on a pink san juan worm and a chocolate thunder. 

We both fish a few different spots but are having a tough time of casting with the twenty mile an hour winds gusting up constantly.  Almost impossible to get a good drift with the dry fly and Mark catching a couple on the worm I decide to try his setup.  I cast through a few runs but can't get anything before we move above the bridge and try a couple of runs.  Mark catches another couple of fish while I am getting nothing.  I finally see a couple fish and cast a little in front of them and get one to hit the worm.  By the time I have landed the fish it has shook loose of the worm and hooked itself in the back with the black beauty.  A semi foul hook, but one fish to net.

We drive upstream to find another spot but with the canyon being busy we decide to try the dream stream out.  With the winds still blowing and some rain clouds looming we hit the water downstream of the parking lot.  I get to a long run at the bottom of some riffles and cast through a few times when I finally hook a fish.  I can see its a good size and it turns a couple of times before it runs straight out and snaps me off.  With the rain coming in I call it a day and head for shelter.

The one that got away could have made the difference today, but it was not meant to be.

Rod:  Unagi 12' 7/3
Line:  Riggs Floating Line 12'
Fly that worked:  Pink San Juan Worm

Comments

Popular Posts