Day 120

For my fourth day of fishing on the trip I decided to fish all day walking downstream on the Big Sandy River past three separate lakes and covering  about 2 1/2 miles each way.  I start the day around 10am and start fishing right below the campsite.  I catch one fish before I start heading to the far end of the lake and working my way downstream.










Fishing some of the same spots I did on the second day I pick up fish almost immediately to get a good start to the day.  After picking up a few fish I decide to start walking downstream stopping at every spot where I think I can catch a fish, and to my pleasant surprise I catch a fish or two at almost every spot I stop.


As I hike downstream taking pictures at the lakes and fishing in between I am having one of the best days of fishing in my life.  By the time I get to the third lake I have caught just over sixty fish for the day.  It's around 5pm by this point in the day and I decide to fish the tail waters and find a nice fairly deep pool to fish.  My first cast out and I land a nice size brookie and after releasing it I cast out again.  Fish On! Release, Cast, Fish On! This went on for an hour straight, catching 33 Fish from the exact same spot!  By this time my fly is shredded but I have caught 93 fish for the day and am determined to catch another seven before I head back to camp.  I tie on another Royal Coachman and find another pool to finish off the day.  It ends up taking a couple more pools but after about a half hour I have caught my 100th fish of the day a little before sunset and start heading back to camp after one of the best days of my life!

Rod:  Iwana 12'
Line:  Hi-vis Level Line 12' #3
Fly that Worked:  Royal Coachman #18

I know I went a little photo crazy, but what a day!

Comments

Popular Posts